National Glenwood 98, '64
The National String Instrument Corporation began in 1926 and was known for making resonator guitars. National united with the Dobro Company in 1932, and eventually became Valco in 1943. Valco manufactured guitars and amps under its own National and Supro brand names as well as for other companies (Gretsch, Silvertone, Oahu, and Airline).
In 1961 Valco came out with an innovative new style of electric guitar made from molded fiberglass bodies called Res-O-Glas (polyester resin and glass threads combined). The most striking of these fiberglass guitars were the National Map-shaped models which included the Glenwood, Val-Pro and Newport models. The unusual cutaways on these guitars made them resemble a map of the continental United Sates.
The National Map-shaped guitar pictured is a 1964 Glenwood 98. It has two standard single-coil pickups along with a bridge pickup. Controlling the pickups are three tones, three volumes, and a selector switch. A master volume is located near the jack. The hardware consists of chrome Grover Rotomatic tuners and a Bigsby vibrato. The body is white, while the finish on the back of the neck is black.