Fender Twin Amp, ’63
Images Click any thumbnail to enlarge
In 1953 Fender launched an amp that would become the industry standard for decades: The Twin.
The Twin, named for its pair of 12” speakers, evolved in looks and power output through the 1950s. In1955 it changed from a wide-panel 25 watt amp to a narrow-panel 50 watt amp. By 1958, the tweed Twin reached 80 watts. This high-powered version lasted until early 1960.
By 1960 most Fender amps were upgraded to a new style brown Tolex covering with the control panel located in the front. Initially, the Twin was abandoned while Fender focused on the new 1X15” speaker Vibrasonic. A brown Tolex Twin was shown in a June 1960 Down Beat magazine insert, but actual examples in this color are extremely rare.
By 1961 the white Tolex Twin was released. It shared the color scheme of the new “piggyback” series (amp heads paired with separate matching cabinets). This Twin had four 5881 power tubes putting out 80 watts like the ‘50s version, but adding the vibrato channel used by most of the Fender amps at the time. The amp’s grille cloth had a dark maroon color from ’61 to ’62, and a wheat color from ’62 to ’63. The blonde Tolex Twin was discontinued in 1963 when the black Tolex Twin Reverb became the top of the line combo amp of all time.